Monday, August 10, 2009

Monday WIDDG Devotion

Day 1: HeadandHeart
Many Christians throughout history have struggled to bring their emotions and affections in line with their knowledge and beliefs. In his autobiography Confessions, Augustine put the matter like this:
I was astonished that although I now loved you . . . I did not persist in enjoyment of my God. Your beauty drew me to you, but soon I was dragged away from you by my own weight and in dismay I plunged again into the things of this world . . . as though I had sensed the fragrance of the fare but was not yet able to eat it.

Question1: Have you ever felt this disconnect between your beliefs and your affections? How crucial is it that we not only know truth with our minds but also delight in truth with our hearts? Why?

No comments:

Post a Comment